DIRECTORY  HOME   

 

  
City of Rahway
1 City Hall Plaza
Rahway, NJ 07065
(732) 827-2000
 

 

 

On April 9, 1804, at a town meeting held at John Anderson’s Tavern (now known as the Merchants and Drovers) Rahway Township was created. The area included all of present day Rahway and Clark and a portion of Westfield.

Perhaps the most noteworthy development of the 19th century was the construction of a railroad through Rahway in 1835. This development made Rahway a link on the new mass transportation route between Philadelphia and New York, and Rahway’s population mushroomed. By mid–century, Rahway had become known as “The Carriage City of the World,” boasting of no less than thirty- five carriage-related factories, shipping their products to Europe and throughout the south.

Rahway was incorporated as a city on March 12, 1858, yet half of the city was in Middlesex County and half in Union County. This was remedied by an Act of the Legislature in 1860 which placed the entirety of the city in Union County.

 

< back   next >