Code Enforcement

elizabeth ave

Division of Building

Building Department

The Building Department is responsible for the administration and enforcement of the Uniform Construction Code (UCC). The UCC dictates what building codes are to be used in the design and construction of new buildings, additions, alterations, reconstructions, etc. of residential and non-residential structures. This division issues construction permits and conducts the necessary inspections to verify the work performed is to the specified codes. Construction permit application forms are available at the Building Department or via the  State’s website. 

Division of Property Maintenance

Property Maintenance Division is comprised of several sub-divisions and ensures continued compliance for commercial & residential properties.  Manages vacant and blighted structures for both commercial & residential buildings.  Enforces the Property Maintenance Code.

Property Maintenance

Here you will find the information on obtaining a Certificate of Approval for Continued Occupancy (CACO) and Temporary Certificate of Approval for Continued Occupancy (TACO),

Vacant/Foreclosure Properties

It is the intent to protect and preserve the public health, safety, welfare, security and quiet enjoyment of residents and neighborhoods by requiring all property owners, including lenders, trustees, and service companies to properly maintain vacant and/or foreclosing properties, and regulating the maintenance of vacant and/or foreclosing properties in order to prevent blighted and unsecured properties.


Information on Underground Storage Tanks for Property Owners

The State of New Jersey offers numerous programs to help property owners determine what is on (or under) their property and provides tools to help them identify and clean up any potentially hazardous contamination. The Homeowner's Guide to cleaning up heating oil discharges. Financial assistance is also offered by the State to qualifying property owners. More information on the Petroleum Underground Storage Tank Remediation, Upgrade, and Closure Fund (UST Fund) are available from the NJ Department of Environmental Protection and NJ Economic Development Authority.