OPRA Instructions

All requests for copies of official public records must be made in accordance with the State of New Jersey's Open Public Records Act (N.J.S.A. 47:1A-1 et seq.). 

A request for access to a government record must be in writing and hand-delivered, mailed, transmitted electronically, or otherwise conveyed to the appropriate custodian. N.J.S.A. 47:1A-5.g. The time frame to fulfill a request for access to government records under OPRA does not begin until the request form or equivalent written request has been delivered to the appropriate records custodian. After the day of receipt, the department records custodian has seven business days to respond. So if the request was received on Friday, day 1 would be Monday. However, if Monday was President's Day, for example, then day 1 would be Tuesday. 

Sending a records request to the wrong officer or employee may result in a delay of the fulfillment of the request.  In the City of Rahway, the City Clerk is the official Records Custodian.  

Requestors must be as specific as possible when requesting records. A valid request identifies a specific type of record, address, Block/Lot of property (properties), parties to the correspondence, dates/date range, and subject matter. Requests for information or requests that ask questions are NOT valid OPRA requests.

Only submit requests by one method.  You do not need to hand-deliver, mail, email, and fax the completed form. Please be advised that records provided via e-mail and facsimile are free of charge.

To submit an OPRA request online, click here.

Records CustodianExample(s) of Records

For Those Buying/Selling A Home

Open and Closed Permits, Liens On The Property or Taxes Owed, Zoning Violations, Certificate of Occupancy, and Property Record Card

To find FEMA Flood Maps, please review the information given on this page.

Building/Construction Records

Open and Closed Permits, Permit Fee Log, Certificate of Oil Tank Removal

* Building plans are protected from disclosure pursuant to OPRA

If you are solely looking for Open and Closed permits, use the SDL Portal to access the City of Rahway's permit records on demand.

If you need guidance on how to use the portal, call 732-827-2087. 

An example of what information the SDL Portal provides.

Tax Assessor Records

Property Record Card

Please Note: The Union County Clerk's Office maintains deeds, previous owner information, and easement information. Also, the city's tax map can be found here

Tax Collector's Records

Delinquent Tax Report and Tax Liens

Please Note: For owner information on a property, the department needs a specific address

Planning and Zoning Records

Planning/Zoning Violations and Applications

Health Records

Animal control records, Food Inspection Reports, and Environmental records

Human Resources/ Payroll Records

Human Resource Procedures, and Salary and Payroll Reports

Engineering Records

Road maps, Street maps, zoning maps, roadwork, right of way permits, extending of driveways, and road openings

Finance Records

Information Regarding Budgets and Expenditures

Fire Records

Inspection or Damage Records And Records Of Multi-Family Dwellings, Containing 3 Or More Units

Property Maintenance Records

Vacant Property Registration, Certificate Of Occupancy Records, And Records Of Property  Maintenance Inspection

Water & Sewer Records

Outstanding water bills